FORUMS > GENERAL DISCUSSION [ REFRESH ]
Thread Title: How to find Stearmans for Sale
Created On Sunday 31, July, 2011 6:53 PM
Pages: [ << 1 2 Previous ]

Dreamcatcher
(4934)

Friday, August 05, 2011 8:31 PM

User is offline View users profile View thread in raw text format

How many of that own a Stearman also have another plane?

Bottom

accuratemac
(4924)

Friday, August 05, 2011 10:07 PM

Bill Souza, Rosamond Skypark, Rosamond CA. Just outside of Edwards Airforce Base, CA.
1) 1943 Navy Stearman
2) 2007 RV-10, Osh Award Winner
3) 2010 Titan T-51 3/4 Scale Mustang
Bill Souza, President
Accurate Machine Defense Technologies
Lancaster, CA. 93535

Bottom

huskyflyer
(4180)

Saturday, August 06, 2011 7:50 AM

'41 Stearman PT-17 Resored in Army Colors
2011 Cirrus SR-22TN w/FIKI
'07 Husky A-1B w/Amphibs
'46 7AC Champ

The Husky is for sale, don't have enough time to fly them all.

Bottom

Thefarmer
(4061)

Saturday, August 06, 2011 2:18 PM

First bought my Stearman 32 years ago and then somehow bought a Husky A1A on wheels a few years later. Can`t really afford either of them with costs as they are here in UK but can`t imagine life without them.

-------------------------
Tony Poulsom

Bottom

raisinfarmer
(2397)

Saturday, August 06, 2011 7:45 PM

User is offline View thread in raw text format

1942 PT-17 (Navy Colors)and a 1955 piper tripacer conversion to a PA 22-20. Piper is the Grandkids airplane.

Bottom

Dreamcatcher
(4934)

Saturday, August 06, 2011 8:09 PM

SO I'm not crazy wanting a Stearman too........thanks now I know I'm in good company.

Bottom

dannym
(4579)

Sunday, August 07, 2011 3:38 PM

Bottom

dannym
(4579)

Sunday, August 07, 2011 3:40 PM

janet flys a varga
we both fly the vtail
we both fly the cub
i fly the starduster too
but the one we fly the most is the STEARMAN

Bottom

JayB
(4709)

Sunday, August 07, 2011 4:49 PM

1941 Stearman
1998 Commander 114B
2004 Christian Eagle AEIO390XP powered
"If more is good, Than too much is better!!"

Bottom

boat
(3728)

Sunday, August 07, 2011 7:41 PM

Dreamcatcher,

Well, I am a one-plane person as I have been from the mid fifties to today. I really wish I could afford another plane. The fact is, I wish I could really afford the Stearman I have! I honestly believe that if I could afford a second plane it would be another Stearman but then, I can barely afford to fly the one I have let alone another one. It is not so much the expense of operating the plane but rather the time I spend worshiping a pile of rags and iron. I will never change but the devil of the deal is the time I take from the important things in life. I feel confident that most will say, "What is this wearer-o smoking?" The answer is nothing. I am simply reflecting on the time I spend with the Stearman that could be spent with my children, grand children and great grandchildren. Actually, all of my children and grand children are great! But then that is a story for another forum... How I spend my time is my chose just as is it for everyone so no judgment intended.

I guess I am just old fashion and poor but I feel blessed to be able to go to the airport, open the hanger and feast my eyes on that wonderful old girl I call my own. Yes, I understand that these are the feelings that one should have for "real people" but at some point, the Stearman seems becomes family. I don't know if others feel the same about other planes but I some how feel that those of my vintage tend to develop an actual love for the heap of tube and fabric that exceeds the simple idea of appreciation for something.

I often just stand there staring at the beautiful lines of the ole girl and I am amazed at her simplicity and grace, Yes, I understand that with today's great designs and up-to-date hurrah the Stearman must take a back seat. Yet I wonder how I can be so lucky as to be the temporary caretaker of such a wonderful machine. How lucky can one be to have an authentic piece of history placed in their care? When I think of the perhaps hundreds of WWII pilots that enthusiastically launched their flying career in my Stearman and the very high percentage that later gave their lives in combat, it almost brings me to tears. How many good men, far more capable than I, set in the seat I now occupy only to forfeit their lives for the freedoms I now take for granite? The thought is humbling!

Yep, I fly peacefully in the clear blue skies over our country only occasionally stopping to think about how the Stearman's history fits into the overall process that has brought us to the freedom we, too often, assume comes free. Thank God for all of the ghosts that fly with me every time the wheels leave the ground. I feel honored to fly the Stearman with those brave men that proceed me as PICs. I do not deserve the prestigious position of thinking I own the Stearman. My job is to fly the plane with honor, maintain it, pass it along and never forget those that were the real harrows of the Stearman heritage.

Well, so much for sticking with the topic. I guess my whole point is that I really appreciate what I have, the Stearman. Moreover, I guess one plane must do for me...

DISCLAIMERS
1. I used the term God. Sorry if that offends you but I am entitled to my beliefs
2. I tended to glorify the brave men that gave their lives for our freedom. If that offends anyone then I am sorry but I can glorify anyone I please because of those brave men that I am so proud of!
3. I think it is great that people have multiple planes and I would be the last one to suggest that they distribute wealth by giving their planes to those who do not have one! This is not meant to be a political statement but rather an observation of current trends.
4. If you are offended by items 1, 2 and 3, get over it! I am sure you say things that could offend me...

Finally, I guess I will have still another glass of wine...

Jim Stanfield

See my profile for contact information

Bottom

huskyflyer
(4180)

Sunday, August 07, 2011 11:11 PM

Well said, Boat. I use the Cirrus to visit my kids and Grandkids (just returned from 4 day visit to our daughters' tonight). And have been using the Stearman and Husky to start teaching our oldest Grandson (9) to fly. Having more than one airplane does become kind of a pain at times because of the costs in $$ as well as time to maintain them. My grandson told me today that he can't wait to get to fly the Champ (just finishing rebuild on it).
Hopefully see everyone in GBG in a few weeks.
Dan Barber

Bottom

boat
(3728)

Monday, August 08, 2011 8:22 AM

Dan,

Great posting. I was responding to MY situation and NOT questioning the wisdom of multiple plane owners. There was a time when I would loved to have had a very fast plane for cross country but I suspect it would come apart if I tried aerobatics. It would have been great to go visit my friends all over the US. I could never take frequent long trips in a Stearman.

If I could have had a Cub or something similar, I would have loved to teach kids how to fly. This is possible in a Stearman but I felt the Cub is more manageable and perhaps better suited for young teenagers.

If money were not an object, I would have a P51 and or a Corsair F4U. I would never be capable of flying machines of that nature but I could go to the hanger, strap in, start the engine, close my eyes and pretend.

As long as I am day dreaming, a business jet or maybe a T38 would make a nice addition to my fantasy hanger. My list could go on forever but as I mentioned, poor folks have poor ways.

The truth is 1) I am not good enough to be safe in more than one type of plane. 2) I hardly have enough time to keep up a Stearman and find time to fly a couple hundred hours per year; let alone stay current in multiple planes. 3) Even if I could afford a faster plane, I would have problems. It seems I drift off to sleep after around 30 minutes of cross-country.

THANKS to whoever just flew a B17 over my house! I guess that was just a reminder that I had left out multiple engine aircraft. Yep, put a B17 in my magic hanger; that would be another dream come true.

Always been a Stearman lover and will always be fascinated with that wonderful, semi-affordable machine.

Jim Stanfield

See my profile for contact information

Bottom

kevin
(2812)

Monday, August 08, 2011 11:45 AM

Jim/Boat...

You captured my thoughts far better than I could express them.

Despite having flown nearly 200 separate types from Cubs to B777's, the Stearman reaches out and grabs my soul. As I write this my butt is still sore from flying a friends for 5 hours back from a wonderful fly in. My mind is dreading the incoming visa bill with the attendant fuel charges. Like you, I would love to own a P-51, (even just have a ride in one), but I will eat macaroni and cheese every day if needed to finish returning my piece of history to the sky. The only thing more important is my family and for that reason I may need a Cub to teach my son to fly.

Thanks Jim.

Bottom

raisinfarmer
(2397)

Tuesday, August 09, 2011 8:50 AM

Yes, I think we all dream of the P-51. Years ago I was working at a new apartment building. The Manager ( who I somewhat knew) had several model airplanes in his window. He noticed my Pratt and Whitney belt buckle.
We started talking airplanes. Chuck said "I have a P-51!" "What scale?" I asked. "I have a real one." 'B.S." was my reply. " invited me in and showed me a picture of his ugly face in the winshield of this P-51 taken from the tail of a B-25! He owned "Gunfighter" and had bought it out of overhaul when he was in the service for 3500 bucks through a junk dealer. Years later I saw Chuck coming out of the Supermarket and asked about the Mustang. He said he let a friend of his fly it and he ground looped it on take off. I said "Damn Chuck, I could have done that!

Bottom

stearmann4
(404)

Sunday, November 04, 2012 7:43 AM

Stearman
1945 J-3 Cub with a C-85 Stroker
1962 Schweizer SGU 2-22E glider
Sorrell SNS-7 Hiperbipe project in the works

Mike-

1942 N2S-3 S/N 75-6754
N9914H

SRA Secretary

stearmann4@msn.com

www.SilverWingsFlying.com

Bottom

Ritch
(5034)

Sunday, November 04, 2012 4:07 PM

I've been lucky enough to have a lot of time in a Stearman in the past 25 years and the last 2 I've actually been been logging my time. ( i did not have a hi-performance endorsement till 2 years ago)
This coming year I will have had my license 20 years.
98% of my logged time is in taildraggers and in a tandem cockpit. ( Champ,Decathalon,J-3,J-5,PA-12,SNJ, ) I also have a bit of unloggable time in Staggerwings and maybe someday I'll get my complex rating but I'm not holding my breath on that one.
I'm 6'01" 230 with a 34 inch inseam and a 24 inch shoulder width. I do not fit with another person well in a side by side seating airplane.
Since stearman time is no issue and it would be crazy for me to duplicate the purchase I have decided I want/need something to take the wife & daughter (that's hard to do in a tandem)
I have decided the best plane for me is a Stinson SM, Junior or V-77 type.
I've looked at about 6 or 8 of them in the last 2 years and have seen everything from a basket case to many that have been sitting for years in a hangar complete but requiring a complete re-build.
In getting the logs from the FAA I have also found many with registration or 337 issues and the seller still wants top dollar and unwilling to make them right.
I did in fact, missed one good deal by a few days.
I will attest trying to find a good flying airplane especially with most of the aircraft I have checked in on have been 68-75 year old owners who for some reason quit flying the planes or have lost medical and so there they sit unattended and un-loved and have for years.
Coupled with the 20 to 30% loss because of the economy I have found overpriced complete projects or projects that are almost finished but still overpriced as most of the owners are still thinking they have prizes in the hangars.
And are still remembering the days when almost anyone worked on a 300 Lyc. and re covering a plane was just something you did on a regular basis.
It's not that I'm not able to completely do a project but I'd rather not have another 3 to 5 year project in my life.

I'm still on the hunt and I'm guessing will be for a while.
In the mean time I'm afraid that a lot of the older planes will just become hangar fillers or salvage metal & fabric.
But hey it's the thrill of the chase that makes life interesting isn't it?
At least the Stearman has a great cult following.
I just hope I won't still be searching in 10 years

Farmritch aka. Moes Harness Rifleman,Commoman,Av8tor & A plethoria of worthless information.

Edited: Sunday 4, November, 2012 at 4:11 PM by Ritch

Bottom

Bones
(3535)

Sunday, November 04, 2012 5:01 PM

Geez Jim and Kevin
I am glad I am not the only one infected with the Stearman Spirit. You guys express the "feelings" more eloquently than I could and I couldn't agree more. Due to finances and weather I haven't had much chance to fly the last two years - but hopefully next year will be different. My bird is definitely "family". My ex-wife asked me if I would ever sell the old bird. I said "Lovie never, and now go and wash your mouth out with soap". This I said with a smile, and I explained I am only the temporary caretaker and when I am too weak and old to climb into the cockpit unassisted, then I may consider handing her over to the next caretaker. She left anyway I don't have anymore wall space in my house to hang Steaman Fly in posters I had mounted. All thirteen of them are up there now. My Dad visited me about 5 years ago just before he passed away. I took him up. He was 80 and flew Tiger moths as a young civil engineer in South Africa. He flew like he never left the cockpit. Ball was in the middle the whole time. I told him it was his fault as he infected me and it was the best gift he had given me. Now let me get on dreaming about the other warbirds in my imaginary hanger.....

Safe flying

John Tabone SRA# 3535

Dee Why, Australia

Bottom

BusDriver
(4833)

Sunday, November 04, 2012 6:52 PM

I know someone who has just decided to sell a beautiful V77, if you'd like me to put you in touch send me a personal email at stlambrick@aol.com

Steve

Bottom

dsloan4487
(4529)

Monday, November 05, 2012 4:49 AM

I also have a friend with a restored, flying Stinson Reliant for sale. I asked him and he'd be happy to get in touch with you if you're interested. It's in eastern MD.

Bottom

Pages: [ << 1 2 Previous ]
FORUMS > GENERAL DISCUSSION [ REFRESH ]

By using these forums you agree that neither these forums, nor any person associated with them, will be held responsible for the contents, accuracy, completeness or validity of any information posted in them.
Forum postings are not reviewed, edited, verified or recommended by the Stearman Restorers Association.

E-mail the Forums Administrator

FuseTalk 3.0 © 1999-2003 FuseTalk Inc.